I pulled info from a few different places and a lot of other reading, but things just weren't working on F21; trying
systemctl start ceph just wasn't producing any output, and all the ceph cli commands just hung. I had better success with F20.The main difficulty was figuring out a working ceph.conf. My VM's IP address is 1902.168.124.101, and its hostname is 'localceph', so here's what I ended up with:
[global] auth cluster required = none auth service required = none auth client required = none osd crush chooseleaf type = 0 osd pool default size = 1 [mon] mon data = /data/$name [mon.0] mon addr = 192.168.124.101 host = localceph [mds] keyring = /data/keyring.$name [mds.0] host = localceph [osd] osd data = /data/$name osd journal = /data/$name/journal osd journal size = 1000 [osd.0] host = localceph
Ceph setup steps:
- Cloned an existing F20 VM I had kicking around, using virt-manager's clone wizard. I called it f20-ceph.
- In the VM, disable firewalld and set selinux to permissive. Not strictly required but I wanted to make this as simple as possible.
- Setup the ceph server:
yum install ceph- I needed to set a hostname for my VM, ceph won't accept 'localhost':
hostnamectl set-hostname localceph mkdir -p /data/mon.0 /data/osd.0- Overwrite /etc/ceph/ceph.conf with the content listed above.
mkcephfs -a -c /etc/ceph/ceph.confservice ceph start- Prove it works from my host with:
sudo mount -t ceph $VM_IPADDRESS:/ /mnt - Add some storage for testing:
- Libvirt only connects to Ceph's block device interface, RBD. The above mount example is _not_ what libvirt will see, it just proves we can talk to the server.
- Import files within the VM like:
rbd import $filename - List files with:
rbd list
Here's the pool definition I passed to
virsh pool-define on my host:<pool type='rbd'> <name>f20-ceph</name> <source> <host name='$VM_IPADDRESS'/> <name>rbd</name> </source> </pool>
Annoyingly the 'mkcephfs' command has been deleted from the ceph packages, with people told to use 'ceph-deploy' instead. I've written a new blog post showing how todo a single node deploy with the new tool
ReplyDeletehttps://www.berrange.com/posts/2015/12/21/ceph-single-node-deployment-on-fedora-23/
Cool, thanks. Though I've been meaning to poke at this again to set up ceph auth since I never wired up support for that in virt-install/virt-manager
Delete